Friday, August 20, 2010

Literary Mecca


Next up in the "Kristin's Favorite Things Queue" is a place that needs little to no introduction (if you've been there, of course): Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon. Powell's is the world's largest independent new and used bookseller. It pretty much lives up to its reputation.

Jon wisely brought me here on our first trip to Portland several years ago. We walked in the door, I wiped the drool from my chin, and we dispersed to our respective interests...for 3 hours.

Powell's is so large that it encompasses an entire city block and is three stories high. There are maps at the door to help you navigate through the color-coded genres. I spend the majority of my time in the bargain book section and the blue room (fiction). I also buzz through the rose room (children and young adult), while Jon prefers...well, I don't know what Jon prefers as I don't see him until we reconvene at the cash register with our treasures.

I have a weakness for used books. I tried to cut myself off a couple of months ago by deciding not to buy any more books until I read the ones already on my shelf. And then I saw a sign for a library book sale. How could I pass up $3 for all the paperbacks you can fit in a grocery bag?!? So, needless to say, when we went to Portland a couple of weeks ago, I was finished before I even began. It's a good thing I picked up a new (IKEA) bookshelf this spring.
 
 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive