Thursday, October 31, 2013

"Bye-Bye, I Love You"

So blessed that Grandpa and Elsa had the chance to meet

Two weeks ago, the world lost an amazing man. One week ago, his family and friends gathered to say good-bye.

I've spent those past weeks claiming that it's not easier to lose someone when the end is expected. But that's not exactly true. It is comforting to know that my grandpa was ready. Ready to join my grandma and my dad and so many of his loved ones. 89 years is a long time to inhabit this earth, and I know that these last months have held their fair amount of suffering. So, for those reasons, it has actually been easier.

But, easy? No. Not even close.

Selfishly, losing a grandparent is like losing a piece of childhood. No matter how old I get, I will forever be someone's "favorite granddaughter." I haven't quite realized that I'm not going to hear those words again.

Grandpa may have been ready, but my mom, brothers, and I were not. We're going to miss him dearly. I could go on and on, relating story after story about my wonderful--and ornery--grandpa. But I won't. Anyone who has had the pleasure of knowing Grandpa has his or her own stories to share. And for those who never got the chance to meet him, such anecdotes wouldn't do him justice.

Instead, I'll end this tribute by sharing a lesson Grandpa taught all of us by both word and deed. Treasure your family. My grandpa most certainly did.

Bye-bye, Grandpa. I love you.

1 comment:

Darlene White said...

So sorry for your loss. He was a wonderful man. Prayers and hugs to all your family.

Followers

Blog Archive